Pages

The gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam...




New York in theory is ginormous. Millions of people milling around, never reconnecting, it seems daunting, lonely. But I've found this to not be the case...

I can't seem to go a day without seeing someone I know, or someone I think I know, or a friend of a friend, or that dude I once made out with in the back of Lolita and vaguely recognize. I swear it's the smallest, big city in the world.

Although sometimes, that isn't always a bad thing.

A few weeks ago, there I was casually smushed against the door of the train as it repeatedly jolted against my skull (aka a typical morning), Completely content in my mind. Suddenly I felt a tug on my headphones at the hand of a waspy suit and removed a bud in an act of over-exaggerated annoyance.

"Pardon?"

"What are you listening to?" Confusion. Did this asshole really make me unmangle myself from my stoically perfect don't-fucking-touch-me pose for this? Realization. Oh my god are my headphones not plugged in all the way? Am I that asshole spewing my own music all over the general public! Embarrassment. Am I listening to Disney songs again?

Yes, Yes I was. 


An Awkward silence (well as silent as the 6 train can possible be) settled over us and after a good ten seconds he smirked,

"That's awesome." Then he left the train.

Cock blocked by Disney. 

Now I didn't plan on seeing this man again so I quickly pushed him out of my mind in a flurry of 456 new MTA riders smashing me further into the door. 

This morning though, he appeared, settling down next to me and tugging on my headphones.

"Another bright dress, another Disney song?" I glanced down, Kanye West. 

"Yep!" 

"Here..." He pushed his phone into my hand with the name Subway Princess all ready for me to tap in my number...

"Smooth."

Within a few minutes he was off bounding up the stairs, and I was back in my mind shuffling shit around.

For now I was a princess, well in this complete strangers phone at least!


2 comments:

  1. Aw, how romantic in a weird way, I should imagine the chances of running into the same person twice are slim to none, so it must be fate!

    I’ve given my blog a bit of a redesign, please come and check it out if you have a chance and let me know what you think!.

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    x

    ReplyDelete