Pages

Cringey music is good for the soul.

I feel like as humans we spend a lot of time worrying about what people think of us. For a lot of us I'm sure it's not a major, soul consuming thing, but it's definitely there. For example; I've always loved some really cringe music but recently I've been listening to it so much so that I've made it into a playlist on my phone and spend more time then I would be willing to admit dance battling myself (I always win.) When asked what music I like I would never say these songs, partially because they really aren't my favourite and also partially because the fact that I love it so much is super embarrassing and you are all haters!

Anyway, I'm just going to get this off my chest now.




  • ABBA- Any ABBA song....ever.
I've said this before, but as a child my favourite album (or at least top 3!) was the ABBA gold album. I'm sorry you can hate on many things in my life but that is still my jam and you can all just sit down and never talk to me again. I started listening to it again ironically, but after remembering that I know every word and still remember my 5 year old dance moves, I completely forgot that irony was a thing.
  • Madison Avenue- Don't Call Me Baby
I'm a child of the 90's. Honestly what do you expect? No but seriously, don't call me baby, I don't know you, that's weird.
  • Annie Lennox- Walking on Broken Glass
Highschool Jordyn loved this song....literally I'm sure it was in my head for like 3 straight years of my life. The sweetest part of the whole ordeal was that my mum couldn't stand it, so I mean that was kind of satisfying.
  • Don Henley- Boys of Summer
Yeah, I don't really have anything to say about this I just really like this song. It reminds me of my stepmum, I'm not exactly sure why honestly....but there you go.

  • Kylie Minogue- Better the Devil You Know. 
One of my other favourite childhood groups (Steps!) did a cover of this song and my neighbour and I made up a dance routine, I still remember pieces....it was a masterpiece.

  • Taylor Swift- Mean
I've never been the biggest Taylor Swift fan, sure I'll belt it out in the car but that's as far as I go. I started to listen this song though because I used to sing it to my exboyfriend when he was being a dick (sarcastically...I wasn't like crying on my guitar or anything dramatic....) and now I'm emotionally invested in you Tswift.

  • Digital Underground- The Humpty Dance
Anybody who knows me knows that I love 90's hip hop, I have zero shame in that....this is a little much though. Samoans do the humpty hump, do the, do the humpty hump.

  • J. Geils Band- Centerfold
My exboyfriend used to live with a guy who was one of my favourite people in the world for one simple reason, he, like myself, got obscenely obnoxious when he drank. Picture, if you will, 6am in a small Lower East Side loft, two drunk and uncoordinated folk break dancing and belting this out at the top of their lungs....I don't miss my ex that much, but I really miss those Nicky dance offs.

  • The Saturdays- Disco Love
It's never winter when it's Donna Summer all year long, simple as that.

  • The Bee Gees- Night Fever
When I was in High School I pretty much just never went to school, instead choosing to go to a local park with this group of homeless looking, stoner dudes and listen to The Bee Gees all day....seriously I make really good choices.


  • Merril Bainbridge- Mouth
Do you ever forget a song exists and then you hear it again and you are thrown through time to the back seat of your mothers Camry in '98? No? Only me? ok.




  • Kelly Clarkson- Please Come Home for Christmas
I love Christmas music. It makes my heart happy, therefore I listen to it all through the year. I was super late on the Wrapped in Red album but I've literally been listening to it on repeat for over a week...sidenote: I feel like she covered a lot of the songs that were on the Home Alone soundtrack...which is one of my favourite albums that I also listen to all year long...fact!

  • Steps- The Last Thing on my Mind 
I already mentioned Steps was one of my favourites. I loved them so much as a child, that when I was in high school my brother started to buy me their old album every time he saw it in a thrift store (travesty! Who would get rid of such a masterpiece?) I think he did it to be funny, but I genuinely had it in my car all through high school and I regularly blasted it, much to the dismay of my best friend.




  • Slim Dusty- Waltzing Matilda
What was that? I couldn't hear you over how god damn Australian I am.

  • No Doubt- Don't Speak
This shouldn't be here because it isn't embarrassing, it's 90's perfection and I will never deny loving old No Doubt, but I needed at least one saving grace! Also, Gwen Stefani....lets be friends! Teach me how to be so perfect!


P.S. Yes, my water is off again....

No comments:

Post a Comment