Pages

Lame Hobbies.

Do you know my absolute favourite way to spend time is reading books in pools?

Catch me lathering up my sunscreen, grabbing a water bottle and a stack of books and I'll see you in 5 hours.


Now I do want to highlight, I didn't say by the pool. Who wants to be sitting there sweating through a story? Not I. My books are in the splash zone. I do not believe in the idea of not creasing the spine by any stretch of the imagination. If my books don't have wavey, water logged pages and scuffed bases it is a god damn miracle. I am a pro, deep lunge in the shallow end, precariously balancing a hard back out in front of me. I have perfected resting a book on the side, scrapping it lovingly against the bricks as I frog kick away because I'm a multi tasker baby.

I work from home and when it was cooler out I used to walk my little baby angle pup on my lunch break...


Unfortunately (for him) now that we are deeeeep into November it's far too hot at 12pm for a walk so instead I wake up in the morning and put my bathing suit on in preparation, and when lunch time hits I set a 25 minute timer on my phone, grab a book and sprint to the pool.

It's top notch, would recommend!

Books I've read in the pool within the last 2 weeks-
  • A Dog called Harry by Jill Baker 
  • Eat a Peach by David Chang
  • Psychedelics by Aldous Huxley
  • I'm Glad my Mum Died by Jennette McCurdy
Another lame hobby?

Podcasts and puzzling. 

Remember how I used to have stories about scaling fire escapes in heels and throwing parties in strangers houses? That girl is dead!

The other day I told Dan he had to lower his volume and could only sit with me if he wanted to puzzle in peace and quiet whilst we listened to my favourite Gilmore Girls podcast. He elected to work instead....I'm so fun that work is now the preferred past time. 



I feel like all my posts recently are about how much slower my life is now and honestly, I'm not mad about it. In my early 20's I lived in the hustle and bustle of NYC where 40 miles an hour felt like a dead stop. In my mid 20's I lived in Hermosa Beach, still technically Los Angeles yet calmer, nights out ended earlier and getting home from dinner and drinks involved a walk along the beach surrounded by locals taking their Labradoodles on a late night stroll. In my late 20's I now live in suburban Brisbane. I never go out to dinner more than twice a week (3 times at an extreme push!) I spend almost every Sunday night drinking wine and eating roasts with my family who I used to never see more than say once every 4 years or so and my days are spent walking my dog, at picnics with friends..... or as if you missed the whole first portion of this post....reading in my pool. 

It's called adaptation kids, if a situation doesn't serve you anymore, pack up and leave.

Don't be too scared to throw yourself into the chaos and forgo sleep for a few years of crazy, but there is no harm in packing up while the party is still in full swing and Irish goodbye-ing straight out of there! 

Skip town, skip the state, skip the continent, do whatever you want. Ain't no harm in giving up something that used to bring you joy but now drains your energy, Marie Kondo that shit straight outta your life.











No comments:

Post a Comment