Pages

The shit we fill our homes with.

As I have mentioned many times before, I view this blog as a snapshot of random parts of my life. I write most blogposts with my future self in mind, because I'm very nostalgic and obviously very self centered.  I want to be able to look back and remember what it was like to be whatever year old in whichever city I was in at that moment. I want to read the drivel I spouted years ago and be transported back to my home in Hermosa Beach and how creaky the floor was in the living room, or how it had a very particular smell. I want to see a picture from 2011 and pop over to my first home in NYC, with the dark narrow hallway and the kitchen my roommate and I would sit in late at night talking about our day. I figured I would use this post to help my future self out by making it reallllll easy to remember what home looked like in 2021.


A spare room full of shoes. This tiny bed was loaned to me when I moved in because my mattress was backordered and since my actual bedroom had my entire bedroom set all ready to go, I set it up in a spare bedroom and I haven't had a chance to give it back yet because it is being held hostage by my shoes. 

A rabbit pot plant that should technically be outside, but instead lives in the corner of my living room judging me always. During lockdown in a moment of peak boredom, we spent Olympic commercial breaks throwing dried apricots into his back, judgement and a game. 

An assortment of Forrest Gump figurines. These are gifts from my collectable loving brother, who knows that Forrest Gump is my favourite movie so has been slowly filling my house with him. I know technically you are supposed to keep them in the box because value and all that BUT I wasted my childhood thinking my beanie bear collection was going to make me rich, so I'm not being made to feel like a fool twice in one lifetime! 

A collection of ramekins. Anybody who has watched me cook, knows how much I love a good mise en place. Nothing stresses me out more than being prompted to add a diced whatsamacallit and realizing it's still sitting very undiced in my crisper. No mam, all my shit is prepped! 

The closet under my stairs which is literally just a giant void for me to stash the copious amounts of reusable bags I own because I'm useless at the reusable part! One day the world will align and I will remember my grocery bags..because hey there has to be a first time for everything!

My big pink painting, which houses a giant purple penis that I can't unsee every time I walk past it.

A handful of lotions and potions and rollers and do-hickeys. This is only one small corner of my bathroom, because boy when I can be bothered, I reaaaaally like to take the time to faff about.

My bedside table that houses all the important things in life....like a Hamilton book, a Britney Spears perfume I spritz my bed with every night, a vase my friends bought me last month, an astronomically expensive nail polish (Smith & Cult are taking the absolute piss), a blood orange room diffuser that fills my entire upstairs and a hand cream because sometimes I like to pretend I'm a middle aged women in a sitcom. 


A pile of yarn that lives in another spare room for the random moments I walk by and remember that I was learning to crochet.....that skill is not going anywhere fast obviously! 

An assortment of cordials because I have a mild addiction to flavoured sparkling water and have recently thought fuck it, I'll make my own, La Croix who? 


Waaaay too many boxes of my favourite snack....Cruskits. Am I a 28 year old woman or a teething baby? We will never know! 

Speaking of snacks...


Today I was putting my groceries away. Wow, how normal and mundane. Nothing out of the ordinary here....

But if you panned to the other side of the bench...


I blacked out in the grocery store and now have five varieties of popcorn. 

So that's my current homestead.

A judgey rabbit, Forrest Gump and a shedload of popcorn.

Sounds about right. 



No comments:

Post a Comment